I haven’t given up on Pico Life, nor the Undersized Urbanite contest, but life has been busy and I’ve been in need of serious thesis work 🙂 Add that to the fact that my husband set up a new Minecraft server and…well, I’ve been spending a fair bit of my free time geeking out, haha!
I’m hoping to get a good full-home update done soon, but in all honesty I’m not entirely sure when that will be. I am, however, still making progress, even if I haven’t had time to document it here. Electricity and the kitchen are my current goals for the tiny home, and I’m really excited to share both my progress and my techniques here.
For this brief update, however, I only have one small thing to share. I began the living room area rug last night, and it’s going very quickly! This is approximately 3 hours of progress on and off (for reference, the design is 3.5 inches in diameter inside a 5″ hoop)
The second color for the rug is going to be a warm creamy color. The primary color in the house is a buttery yellow, which I’m accenting with persimmon and olive. It may sound strange, but so far I’m extremely happy with it! My punch needle is adjustable which means I can use different loop lengths. The previous rugs I’ve made have been done as short as possible, which makes for a great, medium-pile area rug. This one is going fairly long; ultimately it will be closer to a fluffy shag-like rug, perfect for the personality of the home’s resident 🙂
After spending a good chunk of time on my thesis this morning (yay me!), my cognitive abilities were pretty much shot – so I happily took a nice break and measured out the walls for my Undersized Urbanite scratch build. I picked up the necessary lumber and foam core at Michaels on Friday, but our weekend was spent visiting friends so I wasn’t able to get to a whole lot (though I did end up making a lot of changes to the staircase – that will almost definitely get an entire post to itself).
(please excuse the terrible photos, it’s nighttime and I don’t have the best light)
The Undersized Urbanite rules dictate that any decorating done prior to the start of the contest on September 30 will be disqualified, which rules out any painting, staining, or woodwork I plan on doing since that will all be part of the decor. However, because the contest does allow any dollhouse – pre-built, kit construction, or scratch-build – I did decide to go ahead and cut out the pieces I had drawn up on foam core. When I start putting it all together at the start of the contest (since I will have to be decorating as I go) it will go together more like a kit build.
Briefly pieced together with scotch tape!
This may have been a really bad thing because now I just can’t wait to get started. Hopefully I can divert this energy back into my thesis until the contest opens…ideally, I’ll have a finished draft of my proposal at that point and be just about ready to defend it!
Also, stay tuned: Coming soon, I’ll be showing off my absolutely favorite, must-have tools for miniatures work and building. I always pick up so much when others share their most useful items for crafting, so I thought I would put together a post on it.
I’m Abbe. I love miniatures. I’ve finally created a blog after ruminating on it for about a month and a half now, and I’m possibly way too excited to get started. It’s late right now (that’s kind of how excited I was to get started) but I will try to post some content tomorrow….after getting some “real” work done, ha!