I thought I’d take the time to showcase some of my previous made-from-scratch items, since I have not had anything new to post about this week.
1. The weathered coffee table
Made from scratch and scrap wood, and weathered with a watered-down mixture of blue, brown, and cream paints, I wanted this to look very rustic and homemade. While all of the pieces were ultimately glued together, I did create a nailed-board look on the top of the table with jewelry pins. To do this, I snipped them very short, made pilot holes with a thumbtack, and hammered the “nails” in.
Additionally, I wanted the appearance of drawers (an extraordinarily useful feature in coffee tables, in my humble opinion). I checked out the jewelry section at JoAnn Fabrics to see if I could find anything good for knobs, and ended up coming across those findings. They are brads with flower backs to them – several different flower types and brad lengths were included in the package. The leftovers are very likely to make an appearance in my Undersized Urbanite build!
2. The sofa
I can’t even tell you how extraordinarily proud I am of this thing! I searched for ages for a sofa that fit my vision for the Christmas House, but just couldn’t find anything that worked with both my desires and my budget. After putting together a House of Miniatures Chippendale Wingback Chair, I felt I’d gained enough knowledge to tackle building a couch from scratch.
The primary structure is composed of a combination of foam core and stripwood, with a layer of thin foam providing a little softness in the arms and back. I then carefully cut and covered the couch with a lovely faux suede fabric I found on clearance at JoAnn Fabrics. The seat cushions are also made from thin craft foam, with a layer of felt on top for a bit more softness. The cushion trim was perhaps the trickiest part, but I realized that the nature of the faux suede was such that I could actually use a tape runner from my scrapbooking stash, and simply use that to adequately “hem” the strips before gluing them to the pre-covered cushions.
I did find that for this project, superglue was probably my best friend because of the multiple textiles I used to create it. The back cushions were sewn by hand, and filled with seed beads for a more realistic appearance of weight and impressions. The feet were shaped wood disks from Michaels.
Along with my up and coming “useful tools” post, I also hope to get some great shots of the Christmas House in the near future; I plan to work on the lighting tomorrow 🙂